Diversity Scholarship Program 2023
Application Deadline May 31st, 2023
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE BEFORE APPLYING
The Golden Horseshoe CHF recognizes that the strength of its membership is in the many cultures and identities represented within its member co-ops. The Golden Horseshoe CHF encourages applications from these diverse communities and provides scholarships for students living in a Golden Horseshoe CHF member co-op who are planning to attend or are currently attending on a full-time basis, any publicly funded college, university, or apprenticeship program in Canada. Students may apply in any year of their higher learning but will receive a pro-rated amount if they are not entering their first year.
The goal of the Golden Horseshoe CHF Diversity Scholarship is to recognize people living in co-ops who are actively promoting diversity through work within their community.
Is intended to help co-op members cover the costs of obtaining a higher education and recognizes people who are determined to succeed at the post-secondary level or in a skilled trade who did not have the opportunity to finish their schooling due to family, financial, or other circumstances. Our Scholarship awards up to $5000.00 per student and is open to the following:
- Students graduating from high school and entering a Canadian college, university, or apprenticeship program.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a Canadian college, university, or apprenticeship program.
- Students who are returning to a Canadian college, university, or apprenticeship program after a break.
- There is no age limit
- Students who demonstrate knowledge of what the Golden Horseshoe CHF is and what it does.
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN CONTACT WITH THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE CHF OFFICE WHEN REQUIRED.
- Applicants must be living in a Golden Horseshoe CHF Co-op.
- Be planning to attend a publicly funded Canadian college, university, or approved apprentice training program on a full-time basis in the 2023/2024 academic year.
- Have used their knowledge and understanding of diversity to make a positive contribution to their school and/or local community through volunteering in 3 diversity projects in the past 5 years.
- Have demonstrated a financial need.
BEFORE COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE ELIGIBLE.
Current Post Secondary Students or Apprentices
The scholarship will be pro-rated for your undergraduate program. For example, someone part way through a program would be funded for the remaining years. If this applies to you, the following documentation is required:
- Proof that you are already registered / enrolled full-time.
- An official transcript showing passing grades for the program.
- Proof that accounts with the college or university are up to date.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm on May 31st, 2023. All fields in the application must be completed. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
WE RECOMMEND YOU READ THIS FULLY BEFORE STARTING THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Applicants that are short-listed will receive an invitation to interview with the Scholarship Committee.
We will not consider incomplete or late applications
Successful applicants will be required to sign terms of agreement and may be required to attend designated Federation events.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
The online application cannot be saved as a draft, so be ready to complete your application in one session.
Have the following documents and information ready:
- A scan of your acceptance letter for college, university, or apprentice program.
- Scans of two reference letters from a teacher at your high school, your co-op manager, or a supervisor at a volunteer position in support of your academic studies.
- A scan of your educational transcript.
- A copy of your current employment resume.
- A listing of three volunteer activities that you have taken part in which support diversity.
- A 500-word essay on the following topic – How have your volunteer experiences prepared you to assist with initiatives that promote diversity in the wider co-op housing sector?
- An annual estimate of expenses related to your schooling and income available for your schooling.
All documents listed above will be submitted through this website by uploading the scanned file(s) or copying and pasting text into the applicable box.
All personal information collected in this application process will be retained in confidence by the Golden Horseshoe CHF and will be protected under applicable privacy legislation. Your information will not be shared with any third party and will only be used to determine your eligibility for the Diversity Scholarship Program 2023.
For questions related to your online application, send an email to [email protected]
Join us on Zoom May 4th at 7pm for an application information session.
Click Here to Join Meeting – https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88686690807?pwd=eW5oS2pOSk1uS0VubVNWY0VyK3h2QT09